Indigenising University Mathematics
Monday, 20th Sep 2021 — Tuesday, 21st Sep 2021Birabahn building of the Wollotuka Institute
Register now at Eventbrite
The conference website is here.
This national and international two-day symposium will address the pressing challenge of how to Indigenise mathematical practice at Universities, both in education and research. The methodology is of collaboration and sharing of knowledge and worldviews from within both Indigenous cultures and the cultures of mathematics and its allied disciplines.
The symposium will be organised around a collection of interconnected themes, each chaired by a partnership of Indigenous and non-Indigenous practitioners.
The physical location of this blended face to face and online symposium is significant. The Birabahn building of the Wollotuka Institute blends indoor and outdoor spaces, inviting new perspectives, whilst also having the capabilities for an international video-linked conference.
- Associate Professor Kathryn Butler of the Bundjalung and Worimi people, Director of the Wollotuka Institute, University of Newcastle
- Miss Tammy Small, student advancement manager, Wollotuka Institute, University of Newcastle
- Dr Henry Fowler of the Navajo people, Diné College, Tsaile, Arizona
- Associate Professor Edward Doolittle of the Mohawk people from Six Nations in southern Ontario, First Nations University of Canada
- Mr Dan Collins of the Worimi/Biripi nation, Yapug program convener, Wollotuka Institute, University of Newcastle
- Mr Nathan Towney of the Wiradjuri people from Wellington in NSW, Pro Vice Chancellor Indigenous Strategy and Leadership, University of Newcastle
- Dr Michael Donovan of the Gumbaynggir people, Macquarie University, Australia
- Mr Jade Kennedy, of the Yuin people of the Illawarra and South Coast of NSW, University of Wollongong
- Professor Rowena Ball, ANU
- Professor Mark Maclean, UBC
- Dr Veselin Jungic, Simon Fraser University
- Dr Naomi Borwein, Western Ontario University (ECR)
- Miss Jo-Ann Larkins, Federation University (ECR)
- Miss Amber Hughes, University of Newcastle (ECR)
- Dr Maureen Edwards, Wollongong University